Friday, August 13, 2004

Just enough

Today when I was meeting with all my editors for the first time I finally realized just exactly what I am:

Just shy enough to be awkward, just exhibitionist to somehow make a fool of myself publicly.

Asides from that, I think it went well. I took advice from the Cox guy with a mustache in Georgia and decided to take them Krispy Kreme donuts tomorrow morning for breakfast, since I've having them get up and be coherent before noon.

I also sifted through stacks of summer mail, ditching most of it, and cleared out drawers on my desk. No idea why last year's EIC had a battery operated drill in his top desk drawer. I didn't throw it away, though, since I figure I can use it to threaten people later on.

Then when I was about to leave I found a legal pad laying on a shelf with notes scribbled on it. They were notes from last year, when our last EIC went to Athens. Cecil actually gave a little seminar, and maybe he was just too windswept and laid back or maybe he was just boring, because there were more inane little doodles on those pages than anywhere else.

As soon as I get a chance to read all of them, I'll probably put some quotes up here. Who knows what kind of pearls of wisdom Cecil gave them . . . . but then, seriously, he loved us best, so we probably know it all already.

My goal for the paper for this semester is not to tame the wild beast, but rather the let it out of the cage. We can kick ass; I believe.

No comments: