Monday, August 16, 2004

Guys

So this is a sort of random thing, but last night I was talking to a few people online and then was visiting some friends who moved in upstairs when it hit me: most of my friends are guys. Is that weird? I mean, the friend I've known the longest and I rely on the most for everything is another girl, but asides from that, most of the people I hang out with and I genuinely enjoy being around are guys. I know just as many girls but it's never as easy to just do something with them. And then I got to thinking about it, and here's why guys are great:

--They don't mind going outside and getting dirty
--They are usually better to have around as tech support
--It's ok if you get mad and need to let out a long string of expletives
--They (usually, hehe) won't borrow your shoes or clothes
--You can snuggle/kiss on them
--They don't think it's strange or slightly obscene if you can change your own flat tire
--They'll appreciate how really cool your car is
--They won't come barging into your room at two in the morning crying hysterically
--Actually, over-emotional drama hardly ever happens
--It just makes you feel better to get compliments from the opposite sex
--I don't feel like a huge dork because I call everyone "dude" when everyone really is a dude

Yes, so that's why most of my friends are guys. I read in A Tree Grows In Brooklyn that women only band together against another women, whereas guys will band together just for the heck of it. I have to say, other women out there are giving us all a bad name by driving like morons and being vindictive, manipulative cranks. Guys are by no means perfect (it is NOT cool to leave disgusting dirty clothes everywhere or do an over-the-top pimp-out job on your old, rusted car), but there's a lot to be said for being laid back.

Kramer explained about Elaine like this: She's a man's woman. She hates other women and they hate her. Am I just a Seinfeldism here, or is this the way to go? Besides, when you always hang out with guys, you're always the one that's the best dressed. I have no qualms about being the only one wearing mascara if we're sitting around drinking.

1 comment:

Dork Reporter said...

I do require diamonds before we get married though. I'm a big fan of sparkly stuff. What do you think about each of us getting nice big rings and each of us having a best man and possibly being married by Elvis? Something along the line of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, with lots of night time fun and journalistic persuasions (meaning an open bar). I have next Saturday open until someone else tells me there's another damn wedding to go to.