Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Error

Yesterday, while the PR person and I were waiting for this doctor-source to finish with patients, we scheduled a time to talk to another doctor-source. I wrote down the doc's name and the time in my notebook so I could talk to him today.

Today I knock off for lunch and get back to five missed calls on my work phone. Whoops. I completely forgot to take the appointment out of my notebook and put it on my calendar. I cannot function, day to day, without my calendar for scheduled phone calls, so I had missed the phone call and it was a huge snafu.

I ended up calling the PR person back, apologizing profusely--I'd never done this before, and I felt incredibly embarrassed and just plaint stupid--and she ended up conferencing the doctor in for about 15 minutes between patients. I got my interview, I did lots more apologizing, and it all ended well.

Strangely, I looked back at my notes and found out I did leave the office about three minutes after the time we'd set up for the doctor-source to call me. So, technically, I was here for the appointment. But three minutes is a lousy error times, especially that I usually give people about 15 minutes before I try calling them.

I did another interview with a woman today and found myself amused by how much she was assuming about me while talking with me on the phone. I'd never met her or talked to her before, but she said she was a baby boomer, she had grown children, and she made an off-hand comment about the lacking work ethic of the younger generation (and that younger generation would be . . . me. Her theory may be right. I'm at work writing a damn blog post instead of writing stories.).

People often say, Well, you're probably too young to remember, or, I'm old and I remember a time when, etc etc. People will ask if I'm married or if I have children. People will ask if I own a house. People also draw correlations and ask me to remember something that happened before I was even born.

It's just funny to think how much I infer from a conversation with someone on the phone, even if I have no freaking idea. And it's funny how they do the same.

But now me and my lacking work ethic should go do real work.

No comments: