I was in my car listening to the radio on the way back from lunch and I heard this song "I Can Only Imagine" by the band MercyMe (Mercy Me? Mercyme? have mercy). It's a fairly bland song--and a very Christian one. Christian power ballad, if you will. Jesus is invoked a lot.
Hearing the song struck me as strange--I'm Christian (well, Catholic, so depends which Protestant denomination you're talking to as to whether I'm legitimately Christian or not), but I cannot stand Christian pop/rock music. Makes me want to throw up. I'm familiar with the song, just because I've heard it in commercials before (Wow Worship CD boxed set or something), but on a mainstream radio station? Puh-leese.
It's not that I completely object to Christian or faith-based music ("Jesus Walks" by Kanye West is great on the radio, and I wish I heard more Matisyahu on Texas stations), but this song was blatantly Christian, sung softly and slowly so you can hear every crappily-written lyric. Moreover, the music was offensive to the ears.
(I use a fuck-load of parentheses, don't I? Holy shit.)
Anyway. Don't want to hear that song on the radio again. I did also hear "Yellow" by Coldplay, and then I remembered hearing the song my freshman year at TCU, and THEN I realized that was in 2001 and when the hell did I become an old person? That was seven years ago, which doesn't seem like a long time, but in music, it is. Seven years can be an entire musical era. That's almost one of those "best songs of the '90s" type things.
Today I got my second press kit in about three months that's on a flash drive. The first one I got was the annual report from a hospital system, and this one today had press releases, bios, photos and the history for this company. Is this perhaps a new trend? Is giving someone a flash drive with a company logo on it the new pen with a logo on it? Seems like it would be fairly pricey, but I've seen small drives at Target for $10 or so. My desk is cluttered with enough papers that I'm intrigued by this new format.
This weekend: drinks and music Friday night, Omni theater Saturday morning, TCU-OU game, possible party in Dallas and spending Sunday out there. I'm having major issues with logistics, these days, with "logistics" meaning "that effing long and expensive drive to Dallas."
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment