Thursday, September 11, 2008

Misc.

I still haven't posted about the Red Sox on Sunday . . . because CVS botched my photo CD, and I went to get it fixed, and I got a new one, and then I left it at Dan's apartment. Whoops. I have to wait until this weekend when he brings it back to me, provided he doesn't forget it too. We forget stuff a lot.

This is just a bunch of random things:

Adrian and I spent more than a year watching every single episode of the Sopranos, all in order, all of DVD. This happened because I didn't have TV for a long time, and we both had always wanted to see the show, but neither of us had. So we went about watching all of them, and then when the series finished, I felt sad. We joked about how our friendship would now end, since we had no Sopranos to hold us together.

Then I got the creeping crud, which lasted about a month and a half, where I was coughing up grody stuff but I couldn't tell if I was contagious or just gross. I finally recovered, and Adrian and I settled on a new show: Entourage. Whoo! We start tonight. I'm excited!

I'm also excited because it's Thursday, which means it's almost Friday. Thursday is press day, so as of noon I'm usually done with all my deadline stuff and can move on to more important things, like reading other people's blogs. Friday morning means I can sleep in, as long as I show up to work in time for story meeting.

This week I had a story that got held because it didn't have a news peg or a business angle. It was an interesting topic, but my editors wanted an obvious "why am I reading this?" angle. This is the part of working at a business newspaper that is hard for me--I want to geek out sometimes and write articles that say, "Oooh, this if nifty! Learn how nifty it is!" and my editors come over and say, "Show me the money."

It's not that all I want to do is write fluffy feature articles, but sometimes fluff is all you find after spending several days researching and interviewing. That's what happened in this case. I asked about the number of employees spent working on this project, the cost of doing it, and was getting fairly vague answers back. I just don't think they had the numbers or had ever thought of getting them.

What I do love, however, is being able to point to my editors and say it's all their fault that a story is being held, even when I know it needs to be as well. It means I can continue to be the good guy, out there finding stories and being all friendly with everyone and not taking any of the blame. Brilliant!

No comments: