Saturday, August 26, 2006

I'm Sounding Like Dan . . .

I realized that all of these posts are about cycling, and I apologize, it's just that there's really and genuinely not a whole lot going on in my life. I watch movies and read and surf online and go riding.

Today I went out, rode to the end of the Minuteman trail and was trying to decide where to go when I saw a guy in a I (heart) TX jersey. He was with another guy, and I rolled up and asked if he was actually from Texas. He assured me he was, and I told him I was too and had been here a week with my bike and where should I go from here (the end of the trail)? He told me where he was going, and said there was one pretty long hill, and told me I was welcome to follow along.

So I did, and we're cruising and it's pretty and green and the weather is 68 and the cars are pretty respectful.

When we got to the hill, I recognized it before I even got on it. I don't know exactly how long it was, but it sucked a lot. It's probably the only long hill in all of eastern Massachusetts. The guys were (naturally) in front of me, and ended up about 10 seconds ahead, but I made it up and was proud of myself. Then I followed them back to the Minuteman trail and finished my ride. About 26 miles total, and I unexpectedly got my hills done today too.

Yay for Texans. Their names were Paul and Lance and they were from Tyler. I dunno how long they'd been here or what for, but they were friendly enough to let me tag along. That's always appreciated.

I still feel like a kid when I'm on a bike and ride with guys. I feel like I'm 10 again and they're all older than me, mysterious middle-schoolers who are bigger and talk about things I don't understand.

By sitting out on the porch after dinner I finished A Rumor of War, a book I stole from Dan, and realized I need to read more about Vietnam. I don't know nearly enough. All I read this summer was World War I literature, which is probably my historical favorite, but I hadn't thought of the parallels between WWI and Vietnam until just now. The way they were such huge turning points for soldiers and civilians, the righteousness and ultimate disillusionment that followed.

My backside hurts from that damn hill.

No comments: