Friday, August 25, 2006

I Don't Need No Recovery Day

So Kate e-mailed me on Wednesday (she reads this . . . how do people find the nonsense I put up here?) and said she had a riding route. You can imagine my glee--a trail that's mostly away from traffic and is nice and wide and shady. The best news? It's only about two miles from my house, in Arlington. (Lexington? Concord? I don't really know all the places it runs through.)

Tuesday I'd been out on the roads without any real mishaps, but I drove to meet Kate just in case. The last thing I wanted was to have to call her and tell her I'd face-planted myself into the back of a Nissan or something and would be late. So we got there (she has a Giant OCR too) and then headed out on the Minute Man trail. It's 9 miles out, 9 miles back, and we did it twice. It ends at an intersection with a train car and a Giant bike shop, but we didn't have time to explore. It was pretty much dark by the time we got back.

Kate has to actually do work yesterday, so I rode out to the trail (along Mass. Ave all the way and I'm still alive), rode out, explored a bit, got scared by traffic and came back. A total of 27 miles. I felt pretty good because I only got passed by guys who were good.

I've done three days in a row and a total of about 80 miles. Sweet action.

It started thunderstorming last night as I was going to bed and it's still kinda raining now. Additionally, it's 63 degrees right now. That's only 4 degrees from the 50s. That's a bit bizarre.

I started out with the intention of riding three days, taking a day off, riding three days, day off . . . the same way Topper and I train. But I slept late (as per usual with no work), ate breakfast, dinked around, ate lunch, am dinking some more, and with no ride to look foward to, I'm in a semi-funk. Riding is the only thing keeping me from going loopy from boredom and brain damage from watching too much TV.

Perhaps I'll go out today after all. I'll let a little air out of my tires so they're a bit grippy and then maybe work on hills or something away from traffic. It could be my first day to test my new jacket, too. (Yay for buying winter clothing at a summer sale in Texas. It doesn't get much cheaper.)

Yesterday I saw a KFC commercial and those drumsticks looked so damn good. Right now I'm watching a commercial for some hair product and the girl is about the worst actor ever. And now the Fanta commercial is on. There's a KFC around the corner. I passed it yesterday when I rode home.

No comments: