Monday, December 19, 2005

You'lll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid

One week from right now I will be on a plane back to Texas, the day after Christmas.

Doing it that way has me sort of excited. It means the whole Christmas thing is sort of drawn out, celebrated here with the family and in Texas with the friends. I'm looking forward to that.

Tonight I found myself getting angry because I heard about someone's random play. It's sort of stupid of me, I know, because I don't have any control over it and it doesn't affect me (Dan is so rational sometimes, telling me not to worry if it doesn't affect me, but I can't help it sometimes).

What ever happened to going out on a date with someone before getting into stuff like that? Why do people put themselves out there like that, and why aren't there some people with the dignity not to take everything possible as soon as possible? Can't anyone turn anything down these days?

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

And by the way, yeah, I'm done getting self-righteous now. I have very, very few things to get annoyed with as far as my own life goes. Except perhaps that the cat keeps taking my seat if I ever get up and go to my room or kitchen. She's addicted to warm spots. And there's a Biore Pore Perfect commercial about do you ever wish you could wear 4-inch heels without the pain? Or have perfect skin without too much shine or oil? Every single girl in that commercial is wearing a scarf. Take a look. It's vaguely funny.

My sister gets in tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that because it will be the family back together again. The four of us are better together than all separated. She called me at 1 a.m. to tell me about a white-light horse at Wal-Mart, like those reindeer people put in their yard. I think she was right: no one else would get it.

This is the first Christmas without Ginger, our orange tabby cat. He died in May, and it's weird having the tree up without him sleeping under it all the time and hooking all the ornaments down with his paws. He was 18 years old when he died, and Mom hung up his favorite knit ornament in honor of him, down where he could have reached it if he wanted to.

It seems Christmas Carol-ish, but everything this time of year is a big jumble of the past, present and future. And all three are pretty good. And TBS is still doing the 24 hours of the Christmas Story. Score.

No comments: