Sunday, November 01, 2009

Fast Goals

The goal of the weekend was to go big and go fast.

I started that with a Halloween party on Friday night, and let me just say I don't think I've ever been that drunk. I was drinking everything in sight, tequila shots included (because has tequila ever hurt someone before? of course not), and it all ended rather badly in the guest bathroom of the hosts, whom I'd never even met prior to that night. I'm blaming the Jesus costume. I thought I could work miracles.

That said, I did have a lot of fun before we got to the part that I totally don't remember. I don't know how I got the bruise on my forehead or the one on my arm, and I don't remember anything after the guest bathroom, but I am glad Dan was there to haul my drunk ass home and deal with more nonsense there. When we go out to a party, we usually decide beforehand whose turn it is to be designated driver, and I'm glad he was there and available for duty.

I felt horrific most of Saturday (ooh, the hangover, my mortal enemy), thanks to my gung-ho attitude Friday, but I got everything out of my system in enough time to get to the second half of the TCU homecoming game. (Go Frogs!) My parents were there, so I had to pretend that I had a peaceful, wholesome time the night before, but they had to leave early to drop my sister at work. I met up with them after the game when they took me out to dinner at the Flying Fish for catfish fillets, and I explained to them that I would be doing NaNoWriMo and both were enthusiastic. I didn't tell them I was posting everything online because, again, they need to think peaceful, wholesome thoughts about me.

Crystal was pushing me to go out that night, but I was feeling queasy again after dinner so I settled on the couch to watch several episodes of SciFi's The Invisible Man on DVD. This show was, hands down, my favorite show when I was in high school. Well, ok, it was tied with ER, but the first season of this show was everything a dorky girl could dream of. I didn't much like the second season, but I ordered the first one on Netflix and have been reliving it the past few days, feeling like I'm 17 again, which is a pretty righteous age to be.

I stayed up until midnight, and decided I may as well start with the NaNoWriMo challenge. As previously mentioned, all of it will be posted online because I need other people prodding me to get things finished. I spent an hour and a half writing last night, then a few hour-and-a-half sessions doing the same throughout the day. I'm trying to log as many words as possible as quickly as possible because I know how I lose attention for these sorts of things so quickly. I also know that once work starts up again on Tuesday (I took a four-day weekend) that I'll get bogged down with the usual writing, trying to make word counts to fill our ever-slimmer paper.

Tomorrow night is a write-in, in which people from the area who are participating in NaNoWriMo meet up and sit together and work on their projects. It's at the Flying Saucer, a bar, and I'm thinking I may be up to drinking alcohol again by that point. I'm going to try to focus on being fast and furious with the novel and not with my drinking this time around.

No comments: