Five minutes ago I was checking my normal list of blogs for the day when I ran across this entry from Molly:
I'm going to do it! I'm going to participate in National Novel Writing Month. I don't have an idea for a plot or any characters yet, but the lovely thing about NaNoWriMo is that it places importance on quantity not quality. Starting November 1st, I will be writing a 50,000 word manuscript for a crappy (or brilliant--either works) novel. On average, that's about 5-6 pages a day. I'm excited to try out a new kind of writing for me and I hope that it helps improve my professional writing--or at least is just fun.
Here's the link if you want to find out more: http://www.nanowrimo.org/
To all this, I have just one thing to say:
Oh HELL yes.
Molly (I didn't link to her blog because I feel awkward linking to people's personal blogs without prior permission) was a classmate of mine at BU, and if there's one thing we were taught at BU, it was how to write. Copious amounts. About sometimes seemingly dull topics. So a novel? Piece of cake, right?
For all you journalists or otherwise slacker-types who may read this, I think you should also get involved. It's a fantastic excuse to procrastinate on other stuff, like work that pays the bills, hanging out with friends, and having a life.
So. Yes. I like to think I'll write faithfully with some sort of schedule, but what is more probably is I'll do one of those madcap things where I try to write the entire novel in the last week, the way I wrote all my honors thesis papers in college that were supposed to be done all semester. If anyone has any ideas--topics, characters, genres, etc--leave it in the comments. Seeing as how this will be nonsense at best, I'm sure I can fit all the suggestions in.
I'd make some punny joke about "Write on, man!" but it just feels too easy.
And of course I'm going to post this piece of shit on the internet. I even created a brand-new blog to put it all on. Few things make me as happy as creating blogs I am devoted to for a short time period and then let fall by the wayside, and on this one I can automatically forget about it by Nov. 30. Brilliant! No entries until Nov. 1, naturally, but then check back and we'll see if I've already forgotten about this.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This sounds amazing. Count me in.
HAHAHAHA
"And of course I'm going to post this piece of shit on the internet."
This is why i love you. :)
There's no way in hell i'm committing to writing anything these days, much less 5-6 pages a day. (I really should be sewing, you see. Instead of watching Deadliest Catch... hm.)
But count me in as a faithful reader!
Post a Comment