
I know it's taking me forever to post all this stuff about New Mexico, but it seems ever since I got back that things have been busier than they've been in a very long time. Work stuff, coordinating with Dan's schedule, the barn, the parents--all of it has come together and I was grateful tonight to spent two and a half hours in a laundromat, just reading.
The biggest reason I chose to go to Albuquerque over the dates I went is because of the Balloon Fiesta, the most crowd-drawing thing the city has to offer. Every year, people from around the world bring their balloons to show off, compete in challenges, race, and all sorts of other things, and a ridiculous number of people show up. Every day starts off before dawn, when a small contingency of balloons light up in the darkness like luminarias and go up to test the weather conditions. Thanks to the Sandias on the east, the Three Sisters volcanos on the west and some funky air currents, Albuquerque is a great place to fly a kite--wait, a balloon. Probably a kite, too.


We wanted to show up for the mass ascension, the very first event of the festival every year. Showing up before dawn means pulling on many, many layers of clothes, fighting traffic jams at 4 a.m. (or doing park and ride, which we did), and buying cinnamon rolls and breakfast tacos and coffee at the park. People get so excited when the balloons start going up, and slowly dawn reaches Albuquerque. It takes a while, since the sun has to come up over the mountains, but the balloons grow up like technicolor bread dough rising in the giant park.


To get the balloons up, the material is spread out across the ground and the basket is tipped on the side. Fans are used to initially puff up the fabric, and sometimes a person will go inside the balloon to help it along. Once the balloon is upright and the basket is tipped the right way, noisy burners are set off. Needless to say, no smoking is allowed anywhere in the park, but crowds always try to gather around the balloons. It's cool to see that kind of fire close up--fire that can be harnessed to put people into the air--but the warmth is also a big draw. Balloons of all colors and shapes went up--there are much better photographs out there by others, I'm sure, but at the end of the morning there was a huge swarm above us, gently bumping into each other as they took off and then floating away to the northwest, like paper boats sent down a slow stream.







Later in the day, my companions--Amy, my second host and her friend, who was a middle school science teacher--went back to the park for a second round of balloons. (Why did we go back? Well, I'm a science journalist, Amy's an audiologist, the teacher is a science teacher . . . there were extreme dork levels, and we gave in.) Late that afternoon gas balloons--not heated, but filled with gases like helium--were supposed to take off for a race, and we kept waiting for the start. The sun started to set, we amused ourselves by drawing mustaches on our fingers and talking in funny voices. We gave an 8-year-old a mustache when he asked for one (with his parents' permission, since it was permanent marker. And yes, it was the journalist walking around with a giant bag of pens and markers in her purse.) The wind got bad, the balloons ducked and bobbed and partially collapsed. Nothing took off. The moon came up. They set off the fireworks, so no one got a weather refund. We packed it in, went to a bar and did karaoke. I butchered Steve Miller Band and the White Stripes.





Sunday I spent some time out wandering around off the Cottonwood Springs Trail at the western foot of the Sandias. Later that day I would drive around the streets of the city, revisiting various childhood places, but I'd never been on these trails. It was pretty, peaceful, quiet broken by lizards scuttling in dead leaves and mountain bikers skidding down narrow trails in the distance. I got off the trail and wandered through a dried creek bed, looking for fossils. I think I saw petrified wood sticking out of a giant rock, but I don't know. Quartz is abundant out there. I tried to remember not to walk around always looking at the ground, checking for ways I'd trip and hurt myself, but to look up every once in a while.

2 comments:
Yay! great post & GREAT pics!!
I always liked arid land - dry, sparse, quiet. I wish I could teleport out to a desert whenever shit got unbearable at work or in town. Nice photos, I'll save the second to last one to my desktop to look at when the next round of furloughs are announced.
From The Aviator:
"I like the desert. It's hot there in the desert, but it's clean. It's clean."
Post a Comment