Sunday, February 04, 2007

You Mean I Can Have My Nights Back?

I thought that my night life was getting quashed last semester at school, working at the Globe, but little did I know that the Stock Show would do the same thing. In addition to being out there for seven days and working on other news stories from Lee, I offered to do all the agate for Erik, who's serving as the Stock Show editor. I figured hey, it's extra money, it pays per hour, I can do it at home on my sofa watching Six Feet Under reruns, why not?

And then I remembered why I got annoyed at the Globe. I've been spending about three hours a day just typing for the past three weeks. It's painful. I don't know how transcriptionists do it, or other people who just type type type what's already been done or written. But I got to see results of Longhorns from Tokyo and horses from Belgium and sheep from Louisiana.

Today was the last day of the Stock Show. Dan had off yesterday, as did I (the only day where usually neither of us are working), so we drove to Dallas to see Body World. I adored it. Then I went and typed agate for 3 hours. But then Dan and I spent the evening at his parents' and at Erik's place, griping about newspapers and hearing his and Lori's ghost stories. It put me in a good mood to go to work today, out in all the animal crap for one last time.

The weather turned nice again, just in time for the last day. The poor vendors and whatnot--attendance was so low this year because of the two bad winter storms we had, and while I enjoyed being out there, I didn't enjoy trying to take notes with frozen fingers. It was sunny out and the English classes were taking place, so I spent my day wandering and talking to people with pretty jumpers and hack horses. Then I went home and typed the last of the agate--such a relief!

I was going to watch the Super Bowl, but I fell asleep.

Tomorrow, since I don't have agate and will hence have an extra three hours in my day, I'm going to ride Topper and maybe my bike too. On the way to blanket the horses tonight the moon was full and buttery-colored, and the weather is supposed to be mild for the rest of the week. But it's Texas, so I'm not holding my breath for any consistency.

No comments: