Friday, February 23, 2007

Spring

The Stock Show is over, I've been given a beat to cover (social services with some science . . . holla) and Dan is going to Cleveland this summer, so I'll also be taking over the night cop reporting shifts.

And spring is in Texas. The sky is big and beautiful, the weather is still a little unpredictable, but spring is a good thing. It's my favorite season in Texas. It's (usually) not too hot, not too cold. It's blustery and green. It's good for driving around and listening to music and staying out late at night with a beer or margarita on a patio. Topper loves the breeze and warmth and his winter coat is starting to shed out, revealing his slick red again.

Noel died on Monday. He was a good fish. I had him for 3.5 years, which I guess is pretty good for a beta. He lived on my desk in my dorm my junior year, and then on my desk in the newsroom my senior year. While I was at school he was with Dan, living on top of the TV-tank that all Dan's fish are in. I don't feel too bad about his death . . . he was well-traveled, and had lived in Virginia and Texas and in many different locations. I don't know how many fish have traveled in airplanes in the cabin, but he did so a couple of times.

I had promised him a few years ago that if he died I'd put him in the Trinity river, so that's what we did Monday. I dropped him off a bridge over by the country club at night, and he made a tiny splash as he hit the water.

Like I said, he was a good fish.

Spillman and I have been going out on Thursday nights to the Ginger Man, a new bar that opened up halfway between Dan's apartment and downtown. Thursday night is pint night, so when you buy a glass of the featured beer you get to keep the glass. I have a big Warsteiner beerstein, two tall and slender Heineken glasses, and now a St. Arnold's pint glass.

We got dinner and then went to get ice cream before heading back to Dan's to watch the Tour of California and drink some more beer. Spillman was going to drive to campus quickly, and I was going to head to Dan's, so we pulled out of the parking lot of the ice cream place and onto University.

Then, some guy rammed into my car and drove off. A hit and run, the bastard. I wasn't hurt, and I thought he would pull over because he put his blinker on, but then he sped off. Spillman called to make sure I was ok, and we gave up trying to find the guy, so I pulled over in front of the Modern and called my parents, the insurance company, and the cops. It was stupid.

The car isn't really bad--the left fron panel is jacked, and my door doesn't open much, but it's still driveable. It just ticks me off because the guy left. Accidents happen, that's fine; but not pulling over is a jackass move. This is the second time this has happened to my car, too. Last time some guy gashed up my left back panel and broke all my lights when it was parked, and didn't leave a note or anything.

Grr.

But I got a new fish today. His name is Jens Voight and he's a crown beta, I think. He's kinda spiky looking, and he's blue. It's hard to believe Noel was ever that small.

Tonight and tomorrow morning I have stories to cover. I hope it's not raining. We're supposed to have thunderstorms and hail late tonight/wee hours of the morning.

I'm ready for this week to be over.

No comments: