Monday, August 03, 2009

Mild Forms Of Pain

I heard once that an itch is the lowest form of pain. I'm pretty sure that what the horses went through on Friday was more than that, but they did get drugs, which is nice. When Dan met both of my parents over the weekend, he did not have drugs, so there's that.

Friday was an appointment with our horse vet, who (as I believe has been previously documented) is awesome and cute and funny and smart. He also is passionate about horse teeth for reasons too dorky to get into here, so he came out to float the horses' teeth and make sure their dental works were all good for the next year. I don't know where the term "float" came from, but floating teeth means filing them down, since sharp edges from uneven wear can start to cause sores in a horse's mouth.

Both the horses are decidedly middle-aged, and Topper's got a bit of an overbite, so our vet filed everything down and pulled two pieces of cracked, loose tooth out of the pony's mouth. Topper had teeth pulled last time, so he got out without anything pulled this summer, but they were both heavily sedated during the procedure. I stuck around for a few hours after the procedure, to make sure they woke up okay and could eat and drink, and went home with part of one of Rio's molars in my pocket.

That piece of tooth is what I gave to my parents as a hello gift on Saturday, but I don't think they were particularly impressed. My parents showed up in the grand town of McKinney, Texas, about 30 miles north of Dallas, last week, and they're staying in an apartment there while they find a house (they put a bid on one in Rockwall, east of Dallas, on Sunday, so cross your fingers). Dan and I went out to see them on Saturday night, since I got four tickets to the FC Dallas soccer game that night.

Now, Dan and I have been dating for four and a half years. He has met my father once, briefly, when my dad was in town between flights and took my sister and I (and Dan) out for dinner. Dan has never met my mother. My parents have been living halfway across the country during the time we've been dating, and they've only come through Texas two times, maybe three, but it was always for a day or two. I usually only see them once a year for Christmas, flying home, because of my work schedule (and before that, my school schedule). Dan has had an equally nutty schedule with school and work, so although it sounds bad that he hasn't met them both, it really isn't.

My parents took us out to get burgers before the game, and then the stadium seating separated us all into a row and gave us a game to watch and talk about. It was a beautiful evening after thunderstorming all day, and I think everything went well. I guess you'd have to ask my parents and then Dan to find out how it really went.

Now it's a Monday, and Dan's off with his sister enjoying a day off while I'm watching the clock. He is now switching over to a Tuesday through Saturday work schedule, so we're only going to be able to spend Sundays together, which sucks. A lot. But I guess it's good I got him to meet the parents when I still had the chance. I wonder how long they could have managed to not see each other while living in the same metroplex?

No comments: