Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kind Of Like Jail

Last night I was in my fridge, rummaging for dinner, when I was struck by how bare the fridge looked after sharing one with two other people for the past four years or so, both here and in Boston. It was shameful. I love living alone, I have to admit--it gives me a chance to indulge all my weird tics. For example, these are the contents of my fridge:

Four bottles of beer

One bottle of riesling

Two big bottles of Diet Coke

Milk

Tub of ground coffee

Tub of margarine

Tub of sour cream (although I don't eat it, Dan does)

Bottle of basil pesto

Bottle of tomato pesto

Bottle of salsa

Bottle of spaghetti sauce

A few kiwis

A few handfuls of tortellini

Bowlard-boiled eggs

Wedge of Gouda

Container of goat cheese

Slices of American cheese

Pack of shredded mild cheddar

Wedge of sharp cheddar

Round of Camembert


I know, I know, that's a ton of cheese. I get it. But it's because cheese is awesome, and I live near Central Market.

But anyway, living alone just exaggerates one's tendencies, I think, and it makes me think about what happens to someone's personality if they were in prison, living in an isolated cell or something. (That's a stretch, I know. But you can't argue that being alone makes a person kind of goofy.)

There are other things about being alone that I like. I don't have to share the TV with anyone--mostly because I don't have a TV, but if I did, I could watch what I wanted. I don't have to worry about all the dishes being dirty once I'm halfway cooking dinner, and so I don't have to eat out of Tupperware or something stupid because all the plates are in the sink. I can spread all my assorted crap (hair bands, makeup, brushes, sticks of deodorant, etc) out over the whole bathroom counter. I can make sure no one ever, ever leaves dirty dishes in the living room.

(Yeah, there's always the classic example of walking around in your underwear or naked if you want to, but I always leave the blinds open on the windows partway so Fenway can sit on the sill and watch the birds, so I don't do that.)

No comments: