Monday, December 11, 2006

Sports, This Is Liz

Tonight I answered my last phone at the Globe sports desk and typed in my last sailing agate. Whew. There's one caller who calls up and whenever it's a woman he just promptly hangs up, and that guy called like 6 times today, which ticked me off. And then the giant stat printer for dummy pages broke, which means one of the designers gave me the dirtiest looks ever (even though it was not my fault! geez, people). And I didn't get any work done with my stories.

But I'm done and it was alright. I was afraid this one copy editor would get all emotional on me. He's always asking me questions and talking my ear off with everything, and he writes me e-mails a few times a week about random stuff, like Texas sports or cycling, and I was really dreading leaving because I thought he'd be all blah. (You know what I mean.) I hate saying good-bye to people, all that, Well, what are you doing now? Keep in touch! bullshit. I'd rather just act like it's a normal day and leave. The slot guy gave me an appropriate good-bye tonight . . . "Well, I don't have anything else for you to do tonight. So good luck, and have a nice life." He was nice, but it was just right.

I'm not looking foward to Tuesday night. I'm hoping maybe I can just duck out while no one's looking. Saying good-bye to people is stupid. (Can you tell I spent my entire childhood saying good-bye to people and I'm a little averse to it all now?)

So unless I'm saying good-bye to callers at the end of phone call, I don't want to do it. And here's hoping I can get away with not doing it.

No comments: