In exactly one week I will be DONE with this school year! One week. Seven days. I don't really care how many hours, because I'm just so glad to be near done.
I've only been to one class this week, really, because of some problems with US Airways and American Airlines. I would never have thought two airlines would have problems in the same night, but I don't think I missed much and it just puts me that much closer to the end of everything.
My Easter break turned long, which was alright, because there was a lot that happened. Finding out Charles died was a huge blow to Dan and his brother; that's not a cool call to get on Easter. Nor was it easy to face when we went to see his family. It was much worse for everyone else there, but it was odd for me because I was an outsider intruding on the grief of others. How do news reporters deal with that? It was hard enough when I was reporting on the stuff at the divinity school, and that was reputations shredded and religions twisted and people molested, but no one died. And just to make a hassle, Topper hurt himself on Easter as well, and while it's not horrible, it wasn't good.
Aside from all that, there were falconers to hang out with, hawks to watch as they eat birds, teenagers to laugh at and internship interviews. I got one at the Fort Worth Weekly for the summer, and as much as I thought I wanted the Star-T, I think this is better for me. Dan deserves to be at the Star-T, and he'll give them better stuff for them than I would have been able to. He's good for them, and they know it, so they'll give him the opportunities to do awesome stuff. Like this weekend, how he's off hobnobbing with bigwig cyclists at the Tour of Georgia for them.
But the Weekly is much more open to long pieces about sort of random topics, which is good for me. Science and health and environment and stuff like that is all well and good, but it's hard to do in a way that anyone gives a flying fuck in shorter stories. The Weekly will give me the leeway to be quirky and weird and do all the stuff I really like, like hang out with goofy people. I'm all about that. And then I get to write about it.
This summer will kick ass. I can feel it coming. Topper will be there for me, regardless of how much I can work him or not, and he'll appreciate the company and attention. Julie will be there, which is good because my last true girlfriend has moved to Georgia (boo for Emily moving). Dan will be around doing the same type of work but different enough from mine to keep things interesting; I'm always thankful I'm dating another journalist.
Things did, in fact, work out. That makes me so happy. Even though I worried and stressed out occasionally and thought of worst-case scenarios, things worked out perfectly.
It wasn't me that got everything to work out so well. There's a lot of things to be thankful for.
Friday, April 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment