It's fricking hot in Texas during the summer. That's what I've learned so far, staying here in Fort Worth. I spend my days inside hiding in the air conditioning and the evenings out at the barn riding until both Topper and I are grimy with sweat (it doesn't take long). It's kinda gross, and getting into my car is like climbing into an oven if it's been sitting in the sun. It's worth it, though: my car takes me to work, takes me to the barn, takes me to Austin for weekends with Dan.
It's hot and it's boring. I go down to Austin as frequently as possible because even if I don't do anything, at least I'm doing nothing with someone, and there's a lot to be said for having someone around all the time. I never feel better than when I know I have someone to do things with and to do things for. My sister is still here, but she's got a hectic work and social life, and my friends are equally busy, so if I'm in Fort Worth I'm generally bored in that air conditioning, hiding from the humidity and sun.
I think Noel misses being in the newsroom. I know I do. Even though I spent most of the semester stressed and sick, I miss it because it was fun. Speaking of sick, I think I finally got all the mono side effects kicked, thanks to a specialist and a heavy-duty regimen of drugs. I'm going into my third week of being not on drugs and still no sore throat again — woohoo!
On the other hand, I'm suspicious that something else is going on and the radiologist today didn't take me seriously. I found a mysterious lump the day after the Fourth, when I was down in Austin, and it's bruised and sore, and I went to my doctor last week and she set me up for an ultrasound because she didn't know what it was. After spending all weekend worrying and working myself into a near anxiety attack about what it could be, the radiologist today told me he didn't know what it was either but I should just tell my doctor if it changes. So he was useless. But the aching is worse and spreading rapidly, so I guess I'll call Dr. Inman again tomorrow. At least she takes me seriously.
I downloaded the song "Coke" by Flickerstick from Loren last night. That song is my fav by them, and rocks my face off so many ways. It's great. Being able to download songs from him is like being able to sit in a music store and pick and choose . . . it's great. He's got an outstanding collection. Kudos to people with good music taste.
Instead of spending money buying new books this summer (when I could be spending that money on Mexican food down in Austin, yum), I've been reading all the books my sister has. She has an eclectic little collection going there. Lots of Chuck Palahniuk, or however you spell it, and slightly twisted novels. Right now I'm reading Violin by Anne Rice, and I'd forgotten how damn dense her prose is. Good grief. Newspaper work has left me with no patience for her heavy words that could be cut down neatly with a good red pen.
I just realized that me complaining about someone being too wordy must be awfully hypocritical. My apologies. I know I'm long-winded myself.
But at least I don't use exclamation points everywhere like she does. So there.
I'm still getting my editing kicks for the summer by reading daily articles about the Tour de France. Lance is SO hot. It's amazing. How badass would it be if he did run for Texas governor someday?
I'd vote for that in a heartbeat.
Monday, July 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment