So back at the barn, back at school, back in classes, back in the newsroom. I love being back, having things to fill my time (there's usually about 18 hours filled before starting again). What I love about the school year is how my weekends and workdays balance each other out. Friday night I was in bed and comatose as of about 10:30, and then didn't drag myself out until a few hours past noon Saturday. Delicious. It makes up for all those nights in the newsroom and up doing stupid work, like media law or copyediting homework.
I think copyediting will be the bane of my life this semester. When I'm around Dr. Horvit, everything I do is shit, period. It doesn't matter how long or how hard I worked on the paper, or how long my designers and copyeditors stayed to make sure everything was the best possible, it's all not nearly good enough for her. It doesn't take a lot of her to make me feel like a complete failure. I'm glad the class is only an hour long, though, because if I had to be in there longer I think I'd go nuts.
I shouldn't let Dr. Horvit get to me, I know, especially when I can prove I must be pretty ok (we had a killer first week). I gotta admit, this first week, the newspaper is probably what kept me from losing my head. Final grad school applications, classes, doctor's appointments, no paycheck for going on a month and a half, my parents probably PCSing, all kinds of stuff. At the paper I see the people I want to see and I can get stuff done without too many worries. Even Bohler isn't driving me as nuts as he usually does right now.
Yeah, I really don't have too much to say. In case you couldn't tell. Everything is going really well, actually. I'm feeling really good because I'm doing something, and while I'm perpetually tired and perhaps a little cranky at times, I don't mean to be.
As I've said so many times before, life is beautiful. And that's more than just nice.
Sunday, January 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment